Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hey society, why?

EXCUSE ME, SOCIETY? I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!

  So a friend of mine just got into a really bad accident, he was in the Intensive Care Unit, had a pretty bad skull fracture, and was in INCREDIBLY bad shape. I'm not saying this to whine there's a point to this particular pity party. I posted Facebook statuses about his condition, keep in mind he's a local kid and most of my friends know him, they would get a few likes, maybe a comment or two, but no extensive amount of care was shown. 
  On one of the last days my friend was in the hospital I posted a status that included the weight I had lost due to stress, that status got 5 likes and got 5 comments besides my own, mostly because the girl had no idea anything had happened. 
  Today, since my friend is home, I posted a status about how annoyed I was about TOMS and BOBS shoes. That status got no less then 3 likes and 6 comments from several people in the first hour. 
  What is going on?!?! People jump on the bandwagon for something as superficial as brands of shoes, but don't show their support for a local kid, a friend who was hurt?  
  It makes me absolutely sick to think that everyone is more concerned about the brand of shoes and their respective knockoffs then they are with a guy who has never said a mean word to anyone and was fighting for his life at one point. Why can't we take a moment to care a little more, I just spent almost a week sitting in waiting rooms, watching bad TV, and helping out his family in anyway I could and this guy and I aren't dating! I just wanted to support someone I care for and to help out a family that's been nothing but kind to me, why doesn't anyone else care that way these days? 

No comments:

Post a Comment